BIOGRAPHY / CAPITOL 1/92
1 January, 1992
JFK VISITS LOCAL K-MART: Tells Shoppers He Has Returned For Revenge
Revenge is back with a second release, an EP called Gun
World Porn. The new Revenge line-up is
"CJ" Jones, keyboard and programming;
Potts, guitar and vocals; Mike Hedges,
drums; Brian Whittaker, bass;
Hook, bass and vocals
known for his work with Joy Division and New Order, would like everyone to known that
Revenge is, has been, and was always intended as a proper band. "It's not 'Hooky's
play thing.' I'm getting a tiny bit bored now with people who think I'm just pissing about
while New Order are hibernating." Gun World Porn was recorded chez
Hooky in his Manchester, England basement and was produced by the band, with additional
production and remix of "Deadbeat" by Gary Clail.
- Presidential Switcheroo!
- Aliens Kidnap Bush, Put One Of Their own In White House
Revenge has experienced a slight lineup change, trading in one Dave (Hicks) for another
(Potts). "Dave started life working at a bank," says CJ. " We saved him
from that just in time. He was working at Hooky's studio for about three weeks during the
time we were recording our LP, and he ended up showing the old guitarist how to play the
parts. He was also one of the bass players when we started playing live last time. He's a
- BIGFOOT SIGHTED AT RECORDING STUDIO
- "He's The Next Elvis," Says Cher
- It's important to note that Revenge, though
conveniently labeled "Peter Hook's side project," is far from a dictatorship.
"What tends to happen," explain CJ, "is that David and Myself write most of
the material, and Pete comes down at a later date and polishes it off or gets rid of most
- "It's much more a democracy than the press would have you believe."
- Reports of Hook's strong personality are clarified by CJ, who explains what it's like to
work with him.
- " He's a real workaholic, and unless you're prepared to do the same, it's tough. In
the early days, I thought he was a monster."
- LAST 300 YEARS OF RECORDED HISTORY "ONE WACKY LIE AFTER
ANOTHER," Say Scientists
- As a band, Revenge is only nearing its second birthday, though Hook and CJ go back about
10 years. "Peter used to work at a place called Strawberry Studios in Manchester, and
I was engineering there," CJ recalls. "Basically, he gave me my first break.
- "After that, he moved on, bought a studio in Rochdale, and took me along to run the
place. One day he turned up and decided to start a band. Being that I did a tiny little
bit of keyboards, I ended up getting roped into this somehow. It's nice, after engineering
for so many bands and seeing them rise to fame, and there I was stuck in a studio in
- The initiation period was brief. Revenge released their debut album, One True Passion.
They braved a crowd of 2,500 on their second performance as a band and collected positive
reviews from the normally bloodthirsty British press. Their most recent live 1991
appearance was for 18,000 fans at a Manchester festival called Cities In The Park.
- Beach Blanket Barbecue!
- SEX-CRAZED TEENS TURN CANNIBAL
Though the band might not agree, one of the main ingredients of Revenge is sex. Their
first gig was at London's Skin 2 party, a "rubber and leather" affair. Their
1990 debut album, One True Passion, featured photos of some rather attractive women
shot by former Playboy model Suze Randall. The video for "Pineapple Face" was
banned apparently because Peter was wearing a chastity belt around his neck. And Frankly, Gun
World Porn is a very sexy album.
- ROSETTA STONE DECIPHERED
- Messages Include Recipe For Mock Apple Pie
- While recently sequestered in the studio, Peter Hook managed to smuggle out the answers
to these questions:
- What do you like best about CJ and Dave?
- "With CJ it's his blond hair, the way he holds a cigarette and his inability to say
no. As talent goes, he's wasted it for years; I'm glad he now has a chance to catch up on
using it. With David, it's his youth, enthusiasm and his talent that just flows out
unchecked. That's what I do: check and channel. Dead Easy."
- What are three things you like best about yourself?
- "My girlfriend Jane, my kids Heather and Jack, and family and friends, wherever
they may be."
- What do you think is the most important thing people should know
- "I don't think anyone needs to know anything. It's what you hear that makes the
difference. Then make up your own mind."
- What three questions would you like never to be asked again?
- "Four questions. These!"
- EXPERTS STUMPED BY HIEROGLYPHS ON NEWBORN'S BACK
- Adjectives fainted trying to describe the album. We therefore prescribe a copy of
Revenge's Gun World Porn and recommend that you listen to form your own fantasies.
© Capitol Records, 1992